Build Confidence:Give Progressive Feedback
Feedback is a tool that offers managers an opportunity to develop their direct reports by reinforcing positive behaviour, increasing learning and proficiency and consequently improved performance. _ Essentials of Performance Coaching
Feedback when given effectively will achieve the following:
- Creates awareness of how things could be done
- Offers new, more empowering insight
- Broadens vision and expands thought
Tips for Giving progressive Feedback:
The same steps for corrective feedback apply here. Follow through steps 1-6.
Feedback: 6 Steps
- Gather facts
- Seek permission
- Focus on specific behaviour
- Make it ongoing
- Follow up
For step 4: Focus on specific behaviours you would use the following structure:
- Be specific on what the coachee has done that you want to encourage them to keep doing.
E.g. John I noticed when you were working with our client Mrs. Doe, you asked her questions to first understand her needs. You then asked her permission to share with her the products/service you believe would best meet her needs.
- Focus on specifics of their action that worked well in achieving the goals of the task.
E.g. John what I noticed worked well with your interaction with Mrs. Doe is, you gave her time to state her needs, you listened with curiosity and clear interest in what she was saying and you were patient with her.
- Ask the coachee the following questions to coach them in being deliberate in repeating the desired behaviour as well as to build their self-confidence.
- What is your understanding of why things worked so well with Mrs. Doe?
- How can you keep doing more of this?
- What would you like to continue doing in situations like the one with Mrs. Doe?
- For Step 6: Follow up is still important here for progressive feedback. Agree to a follow-up period to further assist your coachee in being more deliberate in taking progressive actions.
What do you find helpful in this on how to give Progressive Feedback? How will you use them? What difference do you believe this coaching approach will make in your place of work? Please write your comments below.