Being stuck is a state of mind: 6 Powerful Steps for Taking Action
Have you ever felt stuck? Do you have great intentions but can’t get yourself motivated? You are not alone! Many of us suffer from what I call the Triple S Syndrome: Stuck, Stalled and Stumped!
For the most part, why do many of us say yes to invitations (business opportunities, social engagements, volunteer commitments,) that don’t fit our overall personal or professional vision? Take a few moments and reflect on this question by looking at your own daily actions and the results you see. Are you saying yes out of thoughts or fears that you may miss out on some great opportunities? or because of others’ expectations of you? Whatever the reasons for saying yes to things that are not conducive to supporting your deep-seated desires or have the ability to unleash your true potentials- an overloaded life is another reason why we stall and get stuck.
We keep adding but don’t follow basic mathematical principles to creating balance and purpose in our lives. My first time back in graduate school was a great eye opening example of the power of following mathematical principles. You see, either I forgot, or I never learned about the acronym: BEDMAS ( calculate what’s in the brackets first, then the exponents, then divide, then multiply, then add and subtract last) Learning how to use this principle was a tremendous tool for me to get the mathematical calculations right! I now use it for my clients as a way to truly manage their lives in order to not get stuck or stalled!
I coach my clients through the power of reflection to identify what’s in the ‘brackets of their work and personal lives’ that need attention first. What’s squeezing them most? These are the issues if left unattended will cause the triple S Syndrome to prevail. The equivalent of the exponents are what I call the 3-Game Changers of Intention. These 3-Game Changers if left will multiply exponentially and you guessed it- cause the triple S Syndrome. Division and multiplication next follow in that order. Clients are shown how to identify what is in their circle of control, what isn’t and how best to multiply their opportunities for success by knowing how to ask for help. They are then coached on how to shore up their success by finishing off the process by identifying what they need to add to their lives first AND what they will need to subtract.
This strategy is one where many people fall short. The average person believes that in order to achieve their goals they must add more things to an already full and busy life. This way of thinking creates role overload and consequently giving up before achieving their goals. It keeps them stuck!
Below is a summary of the 6 powerful steps for using BEDMAS to keep you moving forward:
- Know what’s in the ‘brackets of your life’. Learn to catch yourself before you fall into procrastination or thinking thoughts of not having time to take action and do what matters.
- Identify the 3-game changers that will keep you stuck or stalled. These multiply exponentially if left unaddressed. Take care of them by reviewing the 3-Game Changers.
- Divide and conquer. What can you do? What can you ask others to do?
- Remember, no one is an island. How good are you at reaching out to others to multiply your rate of success?
- Add an action designed to release negative thoughts by doing the very opposite of what the thought is asking you to do.
- Subtract a behaviour/commitment that goes contrary to staying in motion and moving forward.